Thursday, November 20, 2008

I've Been Infected

Of course it isn't that dramatic. I have been infected with the Palo Alto state of mind. I was headed out to study this afternoon and figured I would drive. It was pretty cold in the house and the sky looked dark and possibly rainy. I packed my bag, took the car keys and headed out. Well, mere moments after getting outside I realized it was actually a pretty OK day. There was no need to drive, I would ride my bike to my destination which was less than two miles away. I had a rack to hold my PC and even though there is a long and steady incline, I could walk that part. Well that's what happened folks. THEN when I got to my destination I realized that I did not have the keys to lock my bike. Oh, the silliness of it all. So, I sat outside at the coffee shop beside my bike and did some work with an actual pen and paper. It worked out just fine.

A second initiation. I had something stolen off of my bicycle yesterday. Since we started looking in the area and were aware of the bicycle mentality we were told how rampant theft of bicycles is and how folks will just lift any old thing off of your bike. (There is a similar culture around motorcycles in Philly but I always assume that people with think my bike belongs to a big scary dude and leave it alone ~ that has worked so far). Well, my snazzy Starbucks water container was lifted right off the bike on campus yesterday. The bike and I were on campus almost all day and the best that I can tell the water jug wasn't lifted until after dark, the scoundrels. I am not too sad, while the container was sweet ~ and I do mean sweet, it was my color and the perfect size ~ I did get it on severe clearance. If that is the worst thing that happens I'll be OK.

A third initiation (isn't this exciting??). I secured a CA license earlier this week. As you know, it took me many times to pass the motorcycle portion of the written test but it happened!!! Turns out all the answers were in the book, who'd a thunk it?!?!?!? I read the book at the DMV, the new book, because a kitty yakked all over my first book. I read the book, took the test and passed easily. They will mail me my license. Yes, mail it. Weird, huh?

I also had a job interview yesterday. We'll see how it goes. Next step is to find a school with a suitable nursing program, oh and I'll have to get into it as well, I suppose. :-)

I took some time today to send note to all the folks that sent me notes last month. I hadn't really been ready to open or even look at the cards. I woke up this morning and somehow knew today would be the day to open them. It was pretty sad. I haven't really lingered in the sadness. One, well certainly nothing good would come of it and two, I don't really know how to do that and then recover from it. It's a process is what folks tell me, and I know that. Of course it doesn't make it any easier.

No comments: