Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Longest Night

No, nobody was sick. Winter Solstice happened over the weekend. It is holiday I usually celebrate but it seemed to come an go this year without any celebration. The Girl and I talked about a Winter Solstice adventure but the day came and went. And today as I was driving back from a knitting circle, I realized that I have not donned one seasonal hat, no holiday earrings and not one string of lights on my person. At this point I doubt I will. I know where the stuff is in the garage, it's labeled and everything. I will say that my holiday season is a bit shorter than the general population, I don't do any Winter Holiday decorating or even planing until after the 13th of December ( I like to keep my birthday clear of the winter holiday celebrations). I haven't even strung up the Christmas cards; I don't know if I even will at this point.


I think the weather is part of it. There is no marker that winter is here, it is not crazy cold, there is no ice or snow (sorry if you recently found yourself snowed/iced in the house). Folks do decorate their homes. Certainly there is a retail buzz around, such as it is this season. Perhaps part of it is that the things that happen before winter didn't happen for me this year. There was no apple picking, no crazy day of baking 8 or 10 pies, no cookie bake, no Yule get together. Of course there is more. As the holidays roll around (and my birthday) I realize that things are just different. I miss my Mother in ways I didn't think I would in ways that I never anticipated. It is surprising and saddening to me all at the same time.

This shot is from Christmas 2006

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least get your earrings out for today and tomorrow. It's not too late yet! We love and miss you.