Friday, October 31, 2008

From Salt Lake City to Nevada

No pictures today because the card reader is in the car.

The Tally
Miles driven 520
Hours in Car 12 but I did take a pit stop to visit Mormon Temple in SLC
Touristy thing I did stopped at Mormon main compound in SLC. Pretty cool. It reminded me of the Vatican. This is all of our property all of our wealth, you can peak at it but really it stays with us.
Amazing thing that happened I experienced actual silence. . . more to come
Funny Sign I saw "Perish County" it was at the county limits.

The Mormon compound was very large, very pretty, somewhat creepy but the folks where generally nice. No one accosted me to spread the Word. I did have a chat with a foreign Sister. She offered me the Book, I kindly said no but now I guess it might have been a good read. I took some pictures of a giant plaque, I'll have more to say on that when I post the pictures.

When I left the Mormon compound I cruised through the rest of Utah. After SLC it was a different drive, I passed the Great Salt Lake and after that it was mostly a sandy drive. there was artwork in the sand for the last 50 or so Miles out of Utah. First I thought it was from the travelers but then I realized based on the many beer bottles buried to create the art that it is probably the work of the teenagers in Salt Lake and the surround towns. It was fun to look at.

The silence. There were stretches of Utah where there were no exits. NONE. Before I left SLC I got some coffee and a yummy seltzer spritzer, needless to say, I needed a stop. Well there was a "rest area" for the truckers not far from the Utah/Nevada line. I stopped. It looked like a giant ice covered lake that went right up to giant mountains. It was really a giant expanse of white sand. Very lovely. Pictures later. Well the stop was set off of the highway and there was not much volume on the highway. When I got out of the car I noticed there wasn't as much noise as there usually was but as I was making my way back tot he car there was silence. Actual, silence in nature. Different from the silence in a park or even in a field, no wind, no rustling of leaves or children or pet nothing. The only otter time I have head, or not heard, this silence was when I went sky diving. A body plummets to the earth at some crazy speed all you can hear is the wind in your face and ears and you notice as you are falling to the earth that you a really unreasonably close to the person with whom you are tandem jumping. Then the SHUTE OPENS (on a good day) and there is silence. Total, complete and utter silence. It was as silence I had never heard before. I heard it again in Utah. I was moved, it touched me in a way that I didn't think it would. I was grateful to be in the silence, even though it was only for a few moments. I listen mostly to the road noise when I drive and the quiet at the hotel is quiet but artificial. Until I was in it, I didn't realize how much I needed it. It was a gift.

Today destination is HOME. I am a mere 250 miles from home. That is a shorter drive that Philly to Pittsburgh.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Zig Zag update. ZZ is so accustomed to the road now he eats and uses the facilities. He still gets a little wigged out around 1 or noon, not sure why. He didn't care for driving so late into the evening last night, there was much meowing. Oh, he loves the big rigs. I can't explain it but if he is awake and we pass a big rig he runs right up to the window to check it out. He only opened the window once today and that was my own user error having rolled the windows down while we stopped for lunch, I never put the window lock back on.

No comments: